Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Foundation Showdown: Tarte vs. Nars

It's so hard to find a good foundation. With every brand having at least three different kinds, promising wonders for each type, it can be difficult to navigate. I recently picked up these two foundations and thought I would let you know what I think, so you can see if one may be right for you. I use the Sigma F80 brush to apply all my foundations.


Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15 (phewph that's a mouthful). I've heard so many good things about this foundation that I had to see what the hype was about. My shade is fair-light honey, which is for fair to light skin with peach undertones. This foundation promised 12 hour wear and a "weightless texture". Even though it may look heavy when you squeeze it out, it doesn't apply cakey at all and does a great job of covering your skin without looking like you piled it on. I always use a powder on top of my foundations to seal it in, but I don't think this truly lasted 12 hours (more like 8). I'd say it's main forte was really evening out my skin tone while keeping it from looking too foundation-y. Overall a really good foundation and I love wearing it for those days my skin is more problematic.

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation. This claims to be "a glowing, satin-finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage". My shade is Santa Fe, for medium skin with peachy undertones (it's surprisingly light for a "medium" shade, because I'm almost always in the "light category"). This really does deliver a "glow", and part of that is because of it's sheerness--it offers more coverage than a tinted moisturizer but does let your skin shine through. It also does a good job of covering up my redness, but isn't as long lasting as the Tarte foundation. This one may be a tad more moisturizing, but that may just be due to the sheerness. My big complaint is it's price--it's already $45 and I strongly recommend buying the $5 pump so you don't have to dump it out of the bottle. But for a foundation this expensive it seems ridiculous that it's not already included.

Overall, I really like both of these foundations and totally justify purchasing both since they're good for different reasons. It just depends if you're looking for more full coverage or a sheerer, dewier finish.

What foundations should I try out next? Any ones you've been loving? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I really want to try both of these! They sound great xx

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on these 2 foundations for a long time. Tarte won't be available in Australia till December when sephora comes to Sydney. And the Nars foundation is in the $60 price range which is what has kept me from buying it.

    http://makeupmonster77.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete