Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Five Affordable Drugstore Mascaras

I'm a huge fan of drugstore mascaras--although I like a few certain high end ones, mascaras do expire quickly so it's better to buy something affordable. L'Oreal and Maybelline are the two brands that consistently deliver so here are my top five. I've mentioned most of them in previous blog posts so will link those as well.

  1. L'Oreal Butterfly Mascara (mentioned here). This is one of the most unique mascaras with its butterfly shaped wand. I like to use this for a second coat mascara.
  2. L'Oreal Voluminous Excess Mascara. My favorite thing about this mascara is its lack of clumps, probably due in part to the huge brush. It's incredibly black and voluminizing.
  3. Maybelline Rocket Mascara (mentioned here). A great mascara for volumizing and lengthening. This one has mixed reviews but I'm definitely a fan.
  4. Maybelline Illegal Lengths Fiber Extending Mascara. What a mouthful of a name! Don't be scared by the "fiber" lengths--you can't notice anything but this mascara is crazy lengthening and feels like a high-end mascara.
  5. L'Oreal Paris Shocking Extensions Mascara (mentioned here). This is similar to the Maybelline one above but is maybe not quite as dramatic, yet still offers great results.
None of these are waterproof, but I find using a primer (my favorite is this Lancome one) before application and finishing everything with a setting spray ensures that my mascara doesn't flake or come off.

What's your favorite drugstore mascara?

Also, check out this really cool video of men trying women's makeup on half of their face. It's interesting to think about how beauty is so stereotypically gendered and the transformative power of makeup.

2 comments:

  1. I love the butterfly mascara! It is one of my favorites :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the butterfly mascara here in the UK! But it looks really good, I think i'll have to go and have a look for it :)!
    Really helpful reviews, thankyou!

    Claire xo
    Claire Bodily| Beauty Blog ♡

    ReplyDelete