Friday, October 3, 2014

Why Mindy Lahiri Is My Spirit Animal

I've been a big fan of The Mindy Project since day one. Something about the dynamics of the characters, the relatable and pop-culture laden humor, and absurd story lines drew me in. I love all of the characters-- Danny is great with his macho yet sensitive routine and Morgan is just hilarious. But the standout star is (obviously) Mindy Lahiri. First of all, how great is it that Mindy Kaling gets to write and star in her own show? She was fabulous as Kelly on The Office but really shines here.



I love Mindy because she is exactly how I could picture myself in my late 20s/early 30s. She's extremely accomplished (so she's a gynecologist and I want to work in marketing but hey still successful), struggles with dating, and isn't afraid to tell it how it is. She realizes that "who I have been isn't who I'm going to be". Now she can be a bit ditzy at times (who isn't), but it all has good intentions. She's awkward and often screws up relationships (except now things are perfect with Danny), but still manages to come out on top and look on the bright side. I don't want to go so far as calling her "flawed" but she's perfect to me because I think there's no such thing as true perfection--being actually perfect means you have flaws and you can embrace them.

Very few women characters on TV have "The Mindy Effect"--brains, beauty, and relate-ability.  She even admits that "it's so weird being her own role model". She's comfortable in her own skin and provides a positive role model for girls everywhere. Plus, I love the fact that she isn't a size 2. She has curves and isn't afraid to rock them--her style is fabulous. When she screws up, she doesn't let it get her down and she turns it into a learning experience. In her words, "if you're gonna be a mess, be a hot mess" (I've definitely said this many times).



Here are Buzzfeed's 24 Most Relatable Mindy Lahiri Quotes. The show is incredibly successful and already starting off with a stellar third season. One of my favorite aspects of Mindy's character is it's based on a real person, Mindy Kaling, so you know the character truly has heart and soul beyond the script. I've never related to a character so much as I do with her. Sure, sometimes it's not the funniest show (gotta give my props to Curb Your Enthusiasm or Seinfeld for the most hilarious laughs), but Mindy Lahiri is still poignant and hits home more than most other women on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment