Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What I've Been Reading Lately

I still actively read at least three books a week, but lately my picks have just been killin it. There was definitely diversity amongst genres, but it kind of just happened that way (I read books in the order they're downloaded). I wish I had physical copies of the books to insert in pictures, but I only read things on my iPad. So here's a picture of current library/books I'm waiting to read.


1. Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. I have mixed feelings about Lena Dunham... sometimes Girls can be hilarious and then totally weird the next week. I loved this book though. It's a comedic advice/memoir book about coming of age: sex, living on your own, friendships, etc. There are cute illustrations and lots of different segments so it's easy to read through.


2. Cartwheel by Jennifer Dubois. This actually came out a few years ago (not sure how I missed it), and is loosely based on the Amanda Knox trial. A young girl studying abroad is accused of murdering her roommate--lots of perspectives are intertwined and we flash between the present as well as past events leading up to the events. Each perspective was unique and gave a different insight into the story. I really enjoyed this one.



3. Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. I think I mentioned how much I loved this book in a previous post, but it's seriously that good. A dual perspective novel but with a different take--one focuses on Darcy, a young adult in our world as she navigates the publishing scene and tries to get her book published. This alternates with chapters from her actual book, so you get to experience that story as well. Her story has some fantastical elements but is not dystopian (which is refreshing for a change).


4. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. So I actually haven't read this yet (it's next on my list), but since it's by Jodi Picoult I'm assuming it will rock. It claims to be "deeply moving and intelligent", and Picoult excels at character development. Review to come!


What books have you been loving lately? Anything to suggest? Let me know in the comments as always!


1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing about Girls. At first I liked it, then it got outrageous. It was like I couldn't relate anymore. I want to read Mindy Kaling's book.:] // itsCarmen.com ☼ ☯

    ReplyDelete