Monday, January 25, 2016

Celebrity Memoirs Worth Reading

When you hear "Rainn Wilson", you probably immediately think of Dwight from The Office. And I'm sure "Mary-Louise Parker" brings to mind Nancy Botwin from Weeds. These are both amazing actors, but their recent books are just as notable. If you know me, you know I love to read. And I also love pop culture, which celebrities are a part of. I have a soft spot for celebrity memoirs (or intriguing memoirs in general), because it often shows a part of them that you don't normally see or hear about. Bonus points when the book isn't just a money machine designed to be sold to any of that person's fans, but is actually really well written.


The Basoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy. Rainn Wilson is a comedy actor, so his book is naturally just as funny. I obviously don't know him as a person, but how I imagine his natural voice to be comes across so well. He takes an ordinary (or not so ordinary) situation, and brings art to the words. It starts off with his childhood and journey to becoming an actor, which gives a new sense of understanding to him. Parts of the memoir deal with his religious journey, while there are also some pop culture lists of favorites thrown in to keep you on your toes. Even if you've never heard of Rainn Wilson, read his book then watch The Office. Dwight will become 10x more appreciated, I promise you.


Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker. This is a bit more of an unconventional memoir. Mary-Louise Parker writes letters to men in her life, some a few pages long and some at least 20. There are the obvious ones (father, grandfather, ex-boyfriends) and some that she doesn't even know (the oyster picker who supplied the oysters). Again, she is another amazing writer who took me by surprise. I love how she focuses on some of the people who have helped her or others in their life, and thinks about them when others wouldn't. Her writing is almost poetic, drawing you in and immediately inspiring imagery without being overly flowery. Each letter to a different man shows you a different part of her soul, showing you an intimate slice of her life.

Have you read either of these books? What are some of your favorite celebrity memoirs? Share below!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is very unexepected! I too think of Mary-Louise parker as "the girl from Weeds". I love the premisse of heer book, sounds very interesting. Thanks for the rec! xx

    www.heyfernandafletcher.com

    ReplyDelete