Tuesday, June 2, 2015

May Favorites

When this goes up, I will finally be moving into my new house (for a year!). I've been all over the place this month, moving over three times and with more stuff than I even imagined I owned, but as of June 1st, today, I'm going to be settled into a new place. And with a new place comes my long-awaited dream of an Ikea Alex. Organizing that will definitely be a multi-day project, but I can't wait to be reunited with all of my makeup in storage (Is it weird to think of it like your friends? No? Good).




Anastasia Contour Kit. I mentioned this in a previous post and it has been a $40 very well spent since I purchased it. I've been loving the middle banana shade for setting under-eyes, as well as the left and middle shades for a subtle contour. I think almost all of the shades work for me (the right contour might be a bit orange) but it's simple to do a quick contour when I don't want to spend forever fussing with it. I recommend this for beginners and pros alike.
Tarte Eyeshadow Palette (exclusive to QVC Set). The week before this set launched, my social media was filled with awesome previews. It was featured at a lower price than it is now, and you get SIX full sized Tarte products for under 50 bucks. My favorite of the collection was the eyeshadow quad, which appears to feature some pretty neutral shades. However, they're extremely pigmented and buttery--I'd say more so than any other Tarte shadows I own. The set is worth it for this alone, although you get some awesome other products like a full-sized mascara and cool balm-like foundation.
Becca Undereye Brightening Corrector. Peachey toned correctors are great for canceling out blueness and dark circles, and this one takes the cake. I've tried a few, although corrector isn't something in my daily routine, but adding this makes a huge difference. You apply it before concealer to color correct and add highlight and brightness. It's creamy and blendable without creasing and a little goes a long way.
Real Techniques Bold Metals Brushes. How did I not get these when they first launched in the US?? I've been a fan of the Real Techniques brushes, but I don't think they'e anything special -- they're practical, affordable, but not very visually appealing. PixiWoo has done an amazing job here of creating a more luxe (yet still quite affordable) line of brushes for all of your makeup needs. Besdies the awesome appearance, I found that these brushes added some extra precision that I had been lacking. My favorites are the large powder brush, which can also be used to apply blush/contour/any kind of powder, the actual contour brush which makes contouring a breeze, and the crease brush for blending out smoky eyes.
L'oreal So Couture Volume Million Lashes. Sadly, this product is not yet available in the US, but I got it in Montreal. It's definitely available in Europe and probably other countries. It's just a really good drugstore mascara that doesn't clump, lengthens, and volumes. It reminds me of a higher end YSL-type mascara (maybe that's just the word couture in the title) but if you can get it near you it's worth it.
Sonia Kashuk Eyeshadow Quad in Up in Smoke. I'd always heard mixed things about Sonia Kashuk eyeshadows (some are pigmented with lasting power and some aren't) but this one got generally good reviews and is the most different than what I already own. The shades feel high quality for the price and blend beautifully to give a smoky eye. It reminds me of the Charlotte Tilbury Rock Chic quad, so I would recommend this if you're trying to save your pennies. I'm not a huge fan of the packaging, as it feels a bit cheap and flimsy, but I can overlook that for the value at the pricepoint.


Books: Summer reading season is always my favorite, because both some of my favorite authors release their yearly books as well as debut authors hitting it out of the park. I loved Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll, I Regret Nothing by Jen Lancaster, Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen, and All the Rage by Courtney Summers.

Music: Since this month has been so chaotic, I really haven't listened to anything new. It's been mostly just Pandora and old favorites, and I'm still jamming out to Someone New by Hozier.

TV: I've been whizzing through United States of Tara on Netflix, about a woman with dissociative identity disorder (multiple disorders) and how she navigates her family with this. Although there are dramatic moments, it's ultimately a comedy. I'm sad there are only three seasons, as I'm almost done with season two.


What did you love in May? Favorites posts/videos are my favorite, so I'd love for you to share or link to your own!










4 comments:

  1. Great picks, I always wanted to try out the anastasia contouring kit, everyone seems to love it! :)
    Urban Obsessions // Vegan Food & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been very happy with L'Oreal mascaras, they give a great volume to lashes but recently I switched to more natural alternatives :))

    Real Techniques Bold Metals Brushes are great!

    Anna x
    Pattern Of Taste | Our Youtube channel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the ABH Contour Palette, one of my favourites at the moment xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait until the new RT brushes drop here in Canada. And really interested in that Anastasia palette... some great favourites here Rachel! xx

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete