Friday, September 25, 2015

Two New Killer Shows

Fall is my favorite season not only for the weather, but also for the return of all of my favorite shows. While I have 5 or 6 I watch regularly, I'm always looking for a new show or two to add.

Just this week, I started watching How To Get Away With Murder. This show is fantastic. Viola Davis just won an Emmy (and was the first black woman to do so--you go girl!) for Best Actress. The show is centered on defense attorney Annalise Keating, and the five students she takes under her wing to work at her firm. Besides the amazing class on criminology she teaches (sign me up), each episode focuses on a case she takes. In addition to this, there are flash-forwards to the murder of her husband and her students covering that up. Don't worry, that's not a spoiler--it's given away in the first two episodes. But that's not the point. You wonder why he is killed, why the students are involved, and whether Annalise is. I love a good legal drama, but this isn't filled with boring legal drama--it's fast paced and exciting with only the crucial details of the case. This is for fans of Damages, Criminal Minds, or anyone who loves a strong female lead and mystery. Season 1 is available on Netflix, and Season 2 started yesterday.


The other show, which should come as no surprise, is Scream Queens. I was excited for this show the moment I heard of its conception. American Horror Story is one of my favorite shows, and a dark comedy horror show just called my name. It premiered on Tuesday, with a two-part episode (can we agree that all shows should do that?). Emma Roberts stars as Chanel, playing an amazing bitch/stereotypical sorority present who tells it like it is. There's of course the dean who hates sorority life, cute heartthrobs, new freshmen who want to rush and are outcasts, and plenty of murder. But the murder isn't even the big deal. I love Ryan Murphy because he knows his pop culture and isn't afraid to satirize it. What could be a cheesy or overdone concept is given a breath of fresh air by clever writing, acting, and enough suspense. Think of it like Heathers meets Scream. For a full recap of the last episode, check out this accurate and hilarious recap from Betches Love This.


What new shows are you loving for fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment