Thursday, December 24, 2015

Two Crazy True Crime Series

I wanted to title this "For Those Who Loved Serial" but I've never actually listened to it. I read the summary but since I'm such a film person, I much prefer visual shows. So whether you loved Serial or love mysteries, these two shows are for you. I've never been a huge documentary fan, because there usually isn't enough excitement for me, but these two shows have blown me away. They're both fast-paced and the true crime aspect of them is almost too insane to be real.

 

The one you can bingewatch in a day... The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst. Since it's on HBO, this crazy story really does feel almost like a movie. Robert Durst's wife Kathy went missing in the 80s, and despite all the evidence pointing to him, he was never arrested. Two more deaths connected to him remain unsolved, but despite the mystery surrounding that, the most fascinating part of the series is the interviews with Durst himself. Andrew Jarecki, the producer and director, is one of the only journalists to have exclusive access to interviews with Durst. It's almost comical how obvious of a psychopath he is (his lawyers even encouraged him not to do the interview). Jarecki weaves in re-enactments that are surprisingly not cheesy, as well as interviews from both past and present. It's pretty obvious that Durst did it, which isn't the reason you'll want to watch. It's more of an in-depth look into the psyche of one of New York's top businessmen and the insane life he lead. With only 6 episodes, it's easy to bingewatch in a day, since you'll keep wanting more.



The one that makes you question whether or not he did it... Making a Murderer. With 10 episodes that are each an hour long, Netflix Original Making a Murderer doesn't provide as much flashiness or suspense as The Jinx. What it does is present the facts in such an obvious way that it's painful to see how horribly the justice system failed Steven Avery. Wrongfully convicted for a rape he didn't commit, Steven Avery spent 18 years in prison. There's definitely more doubt as to whether he then committed a murder, landing him in jail again, but the corrupt law force makes you question everything. This may not be as compelling for some, since there aren't as many personal interviews or connection with Steven Avery, but you feel for him way more than Durst. We will never know whether law enforcement did or did not set him up, but the evidence supporting that view is pretty astounding. It makes you question how much power our law enforcement holds, as well as the prejudices against someone based on what they might do. As usual, there are plenty of interviews and twists that will keep you watching until the end.

I meant to do a last-minute holiday gift-guide, but true to my form, my love of mystery and psychological profiling trumped beauty buying. It's not the most Holiday-friendly, warm-feeling material, but I would prefer this over A Christmas Story any day. If you know of any similar series that I should check out, or if you've watched one of these, comment down below!

I'm putting this up a day early, since I will be spending time with my family tomorrow, and I'm sure most people will be celebrating. Enjoy the holidays and the time with your family, regardless of what you celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that should be interesting and dissertation intriguing (possibly terrifying). I like crime fiction written in a manner of a psychological literature.

    ReplyDelete