Monday, April 20, 2015

5 Of My All Time Favorite Movies

Sometimes I think I should have named this blog makeupMOVIESbooks... I definitely love music, but my real passion lies in movies. I'm a film (and psych) major who loves to watch movies *duh*. I've done a few netflix related posts but figured I would change it up with throwing in some movie suggestions. Most of them are slightly dark and/or psychological thrillers, because those are what I enjoy the most, but there are some comedies thrown in as well (in no particular order).




1. The Silence of the Lambs. This is my all-time favorite movie. The plot line is absolutely fascinating (a young FBI agent works to figure out who the serial killer Buffalo Bill is with the help of psychopathic killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter). Clark Starling, played by Jodi Foster, is an incredibly powerful role model to women and her performance, along with Anthony Hopkins as Lecter, really makes the movie. There's a reason this film won 5 Oscars--you have to watch it if you haven't already.



2. Red Dragon. Although technically a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, this was filmed 12 years after and can be watched out of context. Edward Norton is the main character Will Graham, and if you're a fan of the TV Show Hannibal, this is the main inspiration. With a return performance by Anthony Hopkins and Ralph Fiennes as Francis Dolarhyde, the serial killer of this film, Red Dragon is both similar and completely different than Silence of the Lambs. The film focuses more on the life of Dolarhyde than it does to Buffalo Bill in Lambs, which gives it a nice Criminal Minds vibe.


3. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Even though I didn't grow up in the 80s, watching this movie always gives me feel-good nostalgic vibes. A group of teens' year is chronicled, and each character has a unique coming-of-age story. It's very realistic for a teen movie, especially in how it deals with sex, because lord knows it's definitely glorified in most films. There are some incredibly funny moments, with a few poignant ones thrown in, and it makes for a light movie to watch when you don't want something too deep.


4. Memento. If I had to pick a second favorite movie, this is probably it. I'm amazed at how someone can be so creative and imaginative to come up with the detail involved in this film. Lenny is a man who lost his short-term memory, and can't remember anything for more than a few minutes after an accident. He is determined to find his wife's killer and avenge her death. The cinematography is excellent, and what makes this unique is that it's one of the first movies to really utilize a non-linear timeline (most of it is told backwards). 


5. (500) Days of Summer. Speaking of films that are non-linear, I love this offbeat romantic comedy. Zoe Deschanel is the one not into Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and it's fascinating to get an in-depth look into a relationship that goes wrong. As Tom (J Go-Le) reflects on his relationship, the heartbreak he portrays is so believable and original. It's a good film to watch after a break-up, along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (I didn't put this on the list but it's also a really unique film about love and breakups). 

3 comments:

  1. Oohhh I love the TV show Hannibal, definitely need to see Red Dragon!

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Fast Times. Such a good & funny film. I've never seen Memento so I should watch that! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  3. silence of lamb is way to sacry for me!! :)<3

    littlecoffeebreak.com

    ReplyDelete